These butterscotch blondies are deliciously thick and gooey. Chock full of butterscotch chips, this buttery blondie recipe is simple to make. An easy bar recipe that will get rave reviews.
This is the best recipe for butterscotch blondies. They are irresistible. I can’t stop at only having one bar. I find myself reaching for this recipe when I want a quick dessert or just something sweet to snack on.
Rich and decadent. Thick and chewy. These blondies never disappoint.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And you are in for a spectacular treat.
For a fast snack, you can’t beat whipping up a batch of these sweet blondies. And you don’t need a mixer either.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a butterscotch blondie?
- This a takeoff on the traditional brownie. Instead of chocolate or cocoa powder, this bar cookie has brown sugar and butter which gives you a sweet flavor of butterscotch. Add in some butterscotch chips to step up the flavor.
- Are blondies supposed to be gooey?
- Yes, the best blondies will be gooey but not raw in the middle. Use a metal pan to aid with baking. Metal pans bake more evenly than glass pans do.
- Why are my blondies like cake?
- In order to get a chewy and dense blondie, you need to melt the butter then add the brown sugar. Creaming softened butter with brown sugar will result in a cake like texture.
How To Make Butterscotch Blondies From Scratch
Although this recipe uses many pantry staple ingredients, it is good to know which variation of an ingredient is the best for the recipe.
Ingredient tips for the best butterscotch blondies:
- I always use salted butter but this is your preference.
- light brown sugar
- Using light brown over dark brown will give you the best butterscotch flavor.
- This recipe calls for large eggs. It’s what I always have in my fridge.
- vanilla extract
- Always go for the real stuff. It does make a difference in taste.
- all purpose flour
- Unbleached is my go to flour. I like the fact it’s a bit less processed.
The remaining ingredients are pretty much straightforward.
Melt two sticks of butter in a small saucepan.
Remove the pan from the stovetop. Stir in the brown sugar. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs and the vanilla. Stir till well blended.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
Add the egg mixture then the butter mixture to the dry ingredients.
Stir together to combine. Do not over mix. Only stir till the flour is combined with the other ingredients.
This is a thick batter which makes a dense and chewy blondie.
Fold in the butterscotch chips. Leave some for sprinkling on top. This makes for a pretty presentation.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared 9 inch square pan.
Sprinkle the reserved butterscotch chips over the top.
Place into the preheated oven. Bake for thirty minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Serve either plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You could change up the butterscotch chips and add any of these instead for a different flavor for your blondies. I like to try a variety of mix ins to make these blondies.
- Chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts
- Milk chocolate chips
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
The Best Butterscotch Blondies
- 9 inch square baking pan
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan lined with parchment paper or grease with non stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the brown sugar. Set aside to cool.1 cup butter, 2 cups light brown sugar
- Stir together the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix well.2 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.2 cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Then add the melted butter and brown sugar. Stir together till combined. This is a thick batter. Do not over mix. Only stir till the flour is combined.
- Fold in the butterscotch chips.1 cup butterscotch chips
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the reserved butterscotch chips over the top of the batter.
- Place into the preheated 350°F oven. Bake for thirty minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool before cutting into squares.