This easy sweet potato casserole with streusel topping is the perfect dish for potlucks and family gatherings. This is my most requested dish for every holiday. I mainly make this for Thanksgiving but I have been known to add it to our Christmas menu.
The topping is made with pecans and shredded coconut. No marshmallows in this sweet potato casserole recipe.
One year, I decided I wasn’t going to make it. (This sweet potato casserole has lots of calories.) You should have seen the reaction from my family. Oh, my! The family was horrified. They said it is just one time a year. Make the casserole, they said. And every year, I do. It’s a splurge but so worth it.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
TIP: Use your Instant Pot to cook the sweet potatoes for this recipe.
I like to use my Instant Pot to cook the sweet potatoes. This is how I cook potatoes for potato salad, too.
All you have to do is peel and cube the sweet potatoes.
Place them in a steamer basket.
Add one cup of water to the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Put the steamer basket inside the inner pot.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Lock the lid. Point the valve to sealing. Using the manual or pressure cook button, set the timer for 10 minutes.
When the timer is up, do a quick release to depressurize the Instant Pot. Continue with the rest of the recipe.
An advantage to cooking with an Instant Pot is that there isn’t any boil over.
Expert Tips For The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
- Make ahead.
- This is a very easy casserole to put together. To save time, this dish can be prepared the day before and stored in the refrigerator. Then baked the following day.
- Add some spice.
- If you like traditional fall spices, you could add 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice to the sweet potato filling.
Pecan Topping Or Streusel Topping
Whether you call it pecan topping or streusel topping, it’s absolutely delectable.
If you love pecans, you should check out my bourbon pecan pie recipe. It is delicious!
The pecan topping is the star in this recipe. Pecans, brown sugar, and coconut. Smothered in butter. Need I say more? Yum!
Make this recipe once and it will become a tradition in your family.
Sweet Potato Casserole With Streusel Topping
- 9 x 13 casserole dish, greased with non-stick cooking spray
Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Sweet Potato Filling
- Peel, cube and boil the sweet potatoes till tender. Drain. Then mash.
- Using either a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter and eggs till thoroughly mixed. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the 9×13 inch GREASED casserole dish. Set aside.
- Mix flour, coconut, chopped pecans, brown sugar and melted butter in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top of the sweet potato filling.
- Bake at 375° F. for 25 minutes.