This creamy coleslaw recipe uses freshly grated cabbage and carrots. Topped with a sweet and tangy mayonnaise based dressing. This is the ultimate classic coleslaw recipe. Simple and delicious!
Do you like potato salad? Check out my Instant Pot Potato Salad recipe.
What Is Coleslaw?
Coleslaw is a raw cabbage based salad that is just right for a bbq or potluck dinner.
Macaroni salad is another one of my favorites for social gatherings.
This classic coleslaw is delicious on a pulled pork slider. A perfect combination. You can also add this creamy coleslaw to fish sandwiches as well as simply eating this as a side dish to your favorite meal.
This recipe is a summer favorite because it’s easy to make and can be adapted to personal tastes. I love that you can take a simple recipe and put your spin on it. Truly, a versatile recipe.
Coleslaw is one of those recipes that can be tailored to your liking. You can add as many extras that you want. Or keep it simple like this recipe.
Try These Add Ins
- Add some red cabbage for more color and taste
- Dill pickle juice could also be added for extra tang
- Mix in a tablespoon or two of chopped onion
- Chop up a Granny Smith apple
What’s the difference between grated and shredded cabbage?
Grating cabbage is when the cuts are smaller pieces. You can achieve this by using a box grater or the grating disc on a food processor.
Shredded cabbage is when the cabbage is cut into long thin slices using a knife.
In this recipe, I use grated cabbage but you could used shredded. It just depends on your personal preference.
What you’ll love about this recipe:
These are simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
Finding your spices is easy when they are organized. Check out How To Organize Your Spices.
How To Prepare Creamy Coleslaw
See the recipe card for full ingredients and instructions.
- Grate the cabbage and carrots.
- Mix the two together in a large size bowl.
- For the coleslaw dressing: whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a separate bowl till combined.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the mixed cabbage and carrots. Stir the cabbage mixture till it’s all coated with the dressing.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw, tightly covered for a minimum of two hours. This gives the flavors a chance to meld together.
How To Store Creamy Coleslaw
Since this is a mayonnaise based salad, it must be kept chilled.
Coleslaw does become watery after awhile. So, it’s best to eat it the day it is made or the next day.
Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
Classic Creamy Coleslaw
- 4 cups grated cabbage
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the grated cabbage and grated carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, dry mustard, salt and pepper till combined. Make sure the mixture is smooth.
Making The Coleslaw
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the mixed cabbage and carrots. Stir the cabbage mixture till it's all coated with the dressing.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw, tightly covered for a minimum of two hours.
- Serve, chilled.
- Since this is a mayonnaise based salad, it must be kept chilled.
- Coleslaw does become watery after awhile. So, it’s best to eat it the day it is made or the next day.
- Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.