Saving money while on vacation seems impossible. Money is no object when you’re on vacation. Right? Wrong! Money is always a consideration even when you have saved and budgeted for this particular trip. These are my tips if you’ll be driving to your destination or if you’ll be renting a car.
- The number one tip is thinking about where you’ll be staying. A resort or hotel? Look into privately owned condos where the owners will rent to visitors. Dollar for dollar you’ll get more bang for your buck. You’ll have more bedrooms, bathrooms and a kitchen. We are a family of four and cramming us into a two bed hotel room is not my idea of vacation. You will appreciate the space and privacy not to mention the extra bathrooms. Most condos have a service that will oversee your stay so if you need anything or something needs to be fixed, they are a phone call away.
- The number two tip to saving money on vacation is FOOD. Restaurants can be so expensive. Plus the wait to be seated, the service and quality of food can be subjective. The solution, after checking into your condo, is to stop at the grocery store. Buy snacks, beverages, bread, lunch meat, fruit. Whatever is easy for your family to grab and prepare for themselves. After all this is your vacation, too. Plan your dinners with no prep meals. For example, frozen chicken strips with pre made salad greens. We have even bought steaks and broiled them one night with a baked potato and rolls. Easy meals that if purchased in a restaurant would be very costly. We even brought our Kerurig machine with k cups for morning coffee.
We did this for Spring Break this year to Destin/ Fort Walton Beach, these two tips saved us a lot of money. Now I can’t say as much for the souvenir and clothes shopping. Hey, it rained one day while we were there.
What are your money saving vacation tips?
Join me at: Wow Us Wednesdays
Latest posts by Carol Chappell (see all)
- 5 Reasons Your Planner Is Failing You - August 19, 2017
- How To Add Farmhouse Style Without Breaking Your Budget - August 2, 2017
- 30 Minute Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry - July 23, 2017